Location: Washington, DC
Reporting Relationship: President & CEO
Founded in 1877, American Humane is committed to ensuring the safety, welfare and well-being of animals. Our leadership programs are first to serve in promoting and nurturing the bonds between animals and people. We are first to serve, wherever animals are in need of rescue, shelter, protection or security. Through our innovative leadership initiatives – from our “No Animals Were Harmed®” program in Hollywood to broad-based farm and conservation animal welfare certifications, to rapid response rescue and care across the country – American Humane sets the gold standard as the most visionary and effective animal welfare organization in the nation.
Position Summary & Responsibilities
Director, Financial Planning & Analysis serves as an advisor and operational strategic business partner to the President & CEO, Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and other executive leadership. The Director is part of the core financial leadership of the organization and plays a key role in the organization’s annual budgeting process, periodic forecasting processes, and the overall organizational financial strategic planning. This role is responsible for providing high quality financial analytical support throughout the organization and driving continuous improvements to the quality, speed and reliability of relevant reporting and analytics. This role ensures the organization is continuously challenged to improve financially and achieve its financial goals while driving growth.
- Provide timely analysis and advise the President & CEO, CFO and other key members of the senior leadership team on the organization’s financial performance and strategies.
- Maintain continuous lines of communication, keeping the CEO, CFO, and Executive Team informed of all critical issues, to include risk assessment and mitigation.
- Manage mission critical projects, including overseeing the current systems integration project intended to create smoother communication and data sharing between the finance and fundraising systems.
- Maintain complete confidentiality of information and data, both internally and externally.
- Serve as a strategic partner to program and department leadership, proactively engaging in continuous planning and evaluation, monitoring external trends or changes and introducing new strategies for growth.
- Work with the CFO to provide timely and accurate analysis and forecasting of budgets, financial reports and financial trends in order to assist the President & CEO, the Board of Directors and other Senior Executives, in performing their responsibilities.
- Assist in the review, development and implementation of systems across the organization that will improve the overall operation and effectiveness of AH.
- Facilitate data integration from all systems, applications and databases to provide enterprise-level metrics and reporting.
- Provide financial analysis on all matters of potentially significant financial impact to the organization, including investment returns, cash flow, program evaluation and capital additions.
- Provide analytical support to AH’s finance and senior management teams, including the development of internal management reporting capabilities.
- Utilize financial models to generate annual operating plans and regular forecasting; provide variance analysis and explanation to department heads and executive leadership.
- Design and create reporting tools and financial reports as appropriate.
- Deliver financial analysis and reporting on a regular and ad hoc basis.
- Partner with programs and departments to manage change and understand the operational impact while continuing to meet program deliverables.
- Effectively and proactively develop and implement solutions to business challenges - working collaboratively across the organization, sourcing services and resources, and providing oversight and leadership as needed.
- As needed, assist CFO and accounting team in the administration of 403-B retirement plan, grant applications, reporting and payment processing, payroll, accounts receivable and payable, etc.
- Assist Philanthropic Services/Development in creating all inclusive, fully burdened, grant proposals.
- Present analysis and reports to internal stakeholders clearly and effectively.
- Promote culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Minimum 6-8 years of senior-level financial planning and analysis experience, particularly in non-profit, highly desired.
- Must be familiar with non-profit finance and accounting rules and regulations (FASB, GAAP, GAGAS, A-133, etc.).
- Proven experience facilitating progressive organizational change and development within a growing organization.
- Results oriented, strategic thinker who works proactively and uses sound judgement and creativity in problem solving.
- Entrepreneurial team player who can multitask.
- Able to make timely and firm decisions while also maintaining ability to shift gears as needed
- Strong attention to detail, solid organizational skills.
- Background in financial planning critical.
- Highest degree of ethical conduct required.
- Exceptional oral, written, interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Ability to summarize and present technical financial information in a manner easily understood by the average lay person.
- Advanced computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Dynamics SL financial reporting software and MS Office Suite, including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, accounting or other related field, and Master’s in Business Administration (MBA) required, CPA preferred but not required.
Employees are expected to adhere to all organizational policies and to act as role models, demonstrating American Humane’s core values:
Respect for all
Loyalty to mission
Honesty, integrity, trust
Compensation and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
Instructions to Apply:
American Humane has engaged Korn Ferry to help in this hire. Please apply directly with Korn Ferry,
To apply with Korn Ferry, please submit your application here: https://kfopportunities.loop.jobs/job/Korn-Ferry-Professional-Search-Washington-DC/78701293
You may apply by reaching out to contacts at Korn Ferry below:
Practice Leader, Nonprofit & Higher Education
Managing Consultant, Nonprofit & Education Practice
Senior Recruiter, Nonprofit & Education Practice
About Korn Ferry:
Korn Ferry is a global organizational consulting firm. We help clients synchronize strategy and talent to drive superior performance. We work with organizations to design their structures, roles, and responsibilities. We help them hire the right people to bring their strategy to life. And we advise them on how to reward, develop, and motivate their people.
American Human is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages diverse candidates to apply