American Humane seeks an experienced Staff Counsel and Assistant Secretary to the Board of Directors to provide junior attorney level support across programs and departments as well as support the work of the Board of Directors. Under guidance of General Counsel, the person in this position will provide day-to-day legal support across the organization. This position is based at American Humane’s national headquarters in Washington, DC and reports directly to General Counsel & Chief Compliance Officer.
Founded in 1877, American Humane is committed to ensuring the safety, welfare and well-being of animals. Our leadership programs are first to serve in promoting and nurturing the bonds between animals and humans. We are first to serve, wherever animals are in need of rescue, shelter, protection or security. Through our innovative leadership initiatives – from our “No Animals Were Harmed®” program in Hollywood to broad-based farm and conservation animal welfare certifications, to rapid response rescue and care across the country – American Humane sets the gold standard as the most visionary and effective animal welfare organization in the nation.
Under guidance of General Counsel, the Staff Counsel and Assistant Secretary to the Board of Directors, works to provide junior attorney level support across programs and departments as well as support the work of the Board of Directors.
- Assist with special projects and research.
- Draft standard contracts from developed templates (e.g., independent contractor agreements, sponsorship agreements, non-disclosure agreements).
- Work across all programs and operations to administer contracts from initial request, through negotiations, approvals and final execution. Maintain all contract records.
- Maintain active contract list and contract tracking database. Advise responsible staff prior to contract term expiration or renewal.
- Provide pre-contract preparation support and assist staff in understanding terms and compliance.
- Conduct due diligence on parties related to contract and/or licensed services and anticipate legal concerns prior to execution.
- Conduct contract process training for staff as needed.
Corporate Records and Filings:
- Coordinate with external counsel filing of corporate registrations and updates in all states where American Humane is domiciled and/or authorized to conduct business, charitable solicitation registrations and updates, charitable gift annuity registrations and updates, and other filings as directed by the General Counsel.
- Coordinate with external counsel on trademark and copyright use and ownership processes. Includes registration, docketing, and monitoring.
- Submit other filings and registrations as directed by General Counsel.
Board of Directors:
- Fulfill duties of the Assistant Secretary to the Board of Directors (a staff level role): Perform general corporate governance matters such as preparation of notices, agendas, resolutions, lists of officers and directors, and records minutes in annual and regular Board of Directors meetings and Board committee meetings.
- Maintain confidential information on the Board of Directors site.
- Assist with preparation of Board books for Board meetings.
Essential experience, knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree from an accredited university and be a member in good standing of a bar of at least one state.
- Minimum of four years of relevant experience. Prefer experience in the areas of non-profit law, governance, philanthropy, event planning, and/or contract drafting and administration.
- Important qualifications include: high work standards, high level of attention to detail, the ability to set and balance priorities, strong diplomatic and interpersonal skills, initiative, a high level of responsibility, flexibility, mature judgment, a collaborative work style, the discretion to handle confidential information, and a professional demeanor.
- Skilled in the use of network computer systems, and related programs, including solid understanding of Microsoft Office 2016, in particular Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to set up and organize databases, create checklists and other methods to prepare and maintain detailed records, reports and files.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
Physical demands and work environment:
- Position is based at American Humane’s National Headquarters in Washington, DC – no exceptions will be made
- Minimal travel required (typically two trips per year outside of Washington, DC)
- Position operates in a standard office environment and must be o.k. with occasional animals in the office.
- The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities or requirements.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities or requirements.
Employees are expected to adhere to all organizational policies and to act as role models, demonstrating American Humane’s core values:
Respect for all
Loyalty to mission
Honesty, integrity, trust
American Humane is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diverse candidates to apply