American Humane seeks an energetic, detail-oriented, and highly motivated Publicist to the President & CEO to promote the mission of the organization by overseeing and managing the public image of the President & CEO. The position will develop, implement, and manage strategies around earned and social media on behalf of the Executive Office in an organization with a nearly 150 year-old legacy. This position is based at American Humane’s national headquarters in Washington, DC and reports directly to President & CEO.
Founded in 1877, American Humane is committed to ensuring the safety, welfare and well-being of animals. Our leadership programs are first to serve in promoting and nurturing the bonds between animals and humans. We are first to serve, wherever animals are in need of rescue, shelter, protection or security. Through our innovative leadership initiatives – from our “No Animals Were Harmed®” program in Hollywood to broad-based farm and conservation animal welfare certifications, to rapid response rescue and care across the country – American Humane sets the gold standard as the most visionary and effective animal welfare organization in the nation.
Responsible for promoting the mission and work of American Humane by overseeing and managing the public image of the President & CEO, including developing, implementing and managing strategies around earned and social media on behalf of the Executive Office. The Publicist will coordinate publicity events to ensure President & CEO has visibility and knows where to go and what to do. This position is responsible for producing written materials and correspondence on behalf of the Executive Office and ensuring quality and consistency in messaging with master brand of the organization.
- In consultation with the Chief Marketing Officer and National Director, Communications, develop and implement overall communications strategies for the Executive Office to ensure alignment with the master organizational communications strategy, as well as media outreach plans for specific announcements and events.
- Pitch members of the press (i.e. reporters, television network producers, etc.) on a regular basis and serve as a primary point-of-contact for media relations pertaining to the President & CEO and other American Humane spokespeople as needed.
- Prepare internal and external spokespeople for media appearances to ensure that they publicly represent the organization in an accurate, positive manner.
- Serve as the lead on-site media liaison for all CEO centered press appearances, including: American Humane events with press attendance (e.g. Congressional briefings, the K-9 Medal of Courage, Hero Dog Awards, etc.); in-studio television appearances; press conferences; and interviews on location (e.g. during a rescue mission), among others.
- Build and maintain productive working relationships with members of the press to maximize opportunities for earned media coverage.
- Produce and distribute press releases, as well as public statements on behalf of the CEO and organization; keep up-to-date distribution lists for press releases and announcements.
- Keep CEO and CMO informed of pertinent communications-related matters, including sensitive issues and potential crisis situations.
- Serve as lead writer responsible for producing and pitching editorial content (i.e. letters and op-eds) on behalf of the CEO.
- Strategically manage social media accounts (Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, blogs, etc.) on behalf of the CEO to increase brand recognition and maximize outreach efforts.
- Field questions from the media.
- Write speeches and other remarks on behalf of the CEO.
- Oversee booking and production of CEO’s radio show on Pet Life Radio.
- Produce copy for quarterly newsletters, fundraising campaigns, other development outreach, and strategic communication for donors and board members as needed.
- Provide similar media support for other AH executives, stakeholders or spokespersons as needed.
Essential experience, knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- At least two years of professional experience in public relations, business or technical writing, communications, media relations, or related field.
- Self-disciplined, entrepreneurial, action-oriented style that thrives in a start-up environment; strong work ethic.
- Ability to produce high-quality work on deadline and under pressure. Comfortable managing multiple projects, priorities and deadlines at one time.
- Ability to think proactively, take initiative and see tasks through to completion with appropriate follow-up.
- Sound judgment and discretion in handling and securing confidential information, as well as the ability to conduct oneself in a highly professional manner.
- Excellent organizational skills, with the ability to establish and implement systems and identify resources to ensure the successful completion of projects. Ability to create and maintain files, recording systems and communication protocols.
- Demonstrated ability to pitch.
- Strong communication skills with proven ability to present, write and edit, and to do so in a clear, concise, well-organized and well-articulated manner.
- Ability to change voice and writing style to fit a particular audience and purpose.
- Flexibility to work as part of a team or independently and across departments to meet goals in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer and office technology including applications for project and data management and electronic calendars (Windows, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook preferred). Ability to quickly learn software specific to the department or institution.
Physical demands and work environment:
- Position is based in Washington, DC.
- Position operates in a standard office environment and must be o.k. with occasional animals in the office or at work related events.
- Travel required, 25-50%.
- Long hours likely, including some evening and weekend work.
Employees are expected to adhere to all organizational policies and to act as role models, demonstrating American Humane’s core values:
Respect for all
Loyalty to mission
Honesty, integrity, trust
American Humane is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages diverse candidates to apply