American Humane seeks a highly motivated, detail-oriented, and organized part-time Administrative Assistant with outstanding interpersonal skills to join American Humane’s office located in Palm Beach, Florida. This is a seasonal, part-time position, working approximately 20 hours per week, with flexibility to work more depending on need, including some weekends and evenings, from mid-November 2018 through April 2019. The position reports directly to the Chief Marketing Officer and works closely with the President & CEO.
Founded in 1877, American Humane is committed to ensuring the safety, welfare and well-being of animals. Our leadership programs are first to serve in promoting and nurturing the bonds between animals and humans. We are first to serve, wherever animals are in need of rescue, shelter, protection or security. Through our innovative leadership initiatives – from our “No Animals Were Harmed®” program in Hollywood to broad-based farm and conservation animal welfare certifications, to rapid response rescue and care across the country – American Humane sets the gold standard as the most visionary and effective animal welfare organization in the nation.
Reporting to the Chief Marketing Officer and working closely with the President & CEO and Events Team, this role is responsible for assisting in the coordination of special events, providing administrative office support, and serving as the primary local American Humane representative, greeting and interacting professionally with visitors and donors in the Palm Beach community and surrounding areas.
- Working closely with the CEO, CMO and the Director, Productions & Partnerships, assist in planning and coordinating small events at American Humane’s Palm Beach office for 15-25 people such as discussion series, weekend breakfasts, wine and cheese parties, in addition to large events for 100+ people at outside venues in the Palm Beach area, such as The Breakers, hotels and restaurants, and working with planning committees, staff and volunteers.
- Review local Palm Beach Daily News, Palm Beach Post, Palm Beach Society and others for photos of American Humane events, as well as future events to attend, and coordinate with American Humane’s PR team to ensure AH events are well publicized.
- Provide executive support to President & CEO and other members of the Executive Team to ensure they are prepared and briefed for any external events they are attending during season.
- As needed, make site visits and find resources to recommend event locations.
- Compile and manage RSVPs, guest lists, in-kind gifts; prepare registration materials and manage details to create an optimal experience for attendees.
- Appropriately request, collect and track in-kind donations from local businesses for auctions, drawings, gift bags, etc. and ensure proper recognition.
- Assist with day of event activities: Registration, event space set-up, auction coordination, seating charts, audio and visual, etc.
- As requested, provide post event support through tracking and reporting donations and preparing follow up correspondence with attendees.
- Coordinate with Events Team and volunteer fundraisers to ensure successful events and to enhance relationships.
- Set up and staff booths at local events as assigned.
Administrative and Relationship-Building Duties:
- Be physically present in the office to greet visitors, build positive relationships and respond to general inquiries.
- Hand write and personally deliver cards and other items as appropriate.
- Maintain a clean and inviting office environment at all times.
- Open and process mail, prepare thank you letters and other correspondence.
- Record and deposit donations at local bank as needed.
- Manage office supplies, materials, equipment, phone system and other technology.
- Process donations in a timely manner, in coordination with philanthropic services department in Washington, DC. Includes data entry, producing reports and mailing lists, managing communication preferences, etc.
- Generate written correspondence, prepare mail merges; assemble and send mailings.
- Other duties as assigned.
Essential experience, knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Proven experience effectively coordinating all aspects of special events from start to finish (nonprofit special events, conferences, party planning, etc.) for small and large groups.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, on the phone, in person, and in writing. Projects a warm, professional manner.
- A high level of personal integrity. Handles confidential information in an appropriate manner.
- Strong administrative and computer skills (Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel) for day to day management of Palm Beach office as well as tracking event logistics.
- Excellent spelling and proofreading skills, especially to ensure accuracy of names and contact information. Prepares nametags, lists, coordinates media.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills. Effectively multitasks and manages concurrent projects and responsibilities; meets deadlines
Physical demands and work environment:
- Work in office environment as well as external event venues.
- Ability to transport, lift and carry supplies weighing up to 25 lbs.
- Set up food, beverages, materials and audiovisual equipment for events in office and other locations.
- Local travel with personal vehicle is required.
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Must be comfortable with occasional animals in office or at events.
Employees are expected to adhere to all organizational policies and to act as role models, demonstrating American Humane’s core values:
Respect for all
Loyalty to mission
Honesty, integrity, trust
American Humane is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages diverse candidates to apply