American Humane seeks a highly motivated Vice President, Strategic Alliances to build and maintain the American Humane Certified™ Program. This position works collaboratively with the program and communications teams and is based at American Humane’s national headquarters in Washington, DC. The VP, Strategic Alliances reports directly to the Chief Marketing Officer.
Founded in 1877, American Humane is committed to ensuring the safety, welfare and well-being of animals. Our leadership programs are first to serve in promoting and nurturing the bonds between animals and humans. We are first to serve, wherever animals are in need of rescue, shelter, protection or security. Through our innovative leadership initiatives – from our “No Animals Were Harmed®” program in Hollywood to broad-based farm and conservation animal welfare certifications, to rapid response rescue and care across the country – American Humane sets the gold standard as the most visionary and effective animal welfare organization in the nation.
The Vice President of Strategic Alliances develops alliances and collaborations that expand American Humane’s third party animal welfare audit programs in the farm, zoo and aquarium spaces. The VP is responsible for securing external program development opportunities and maintaining and nurturing relationships with key leaders at certified and prospective institutions. This position plays a lead role in developing and implementing outreach strategy as it relates to program growth.
- Develops high-level networks and strategic outreach opportunities for certification programs and staff.
- Works collaboratively with the Chief Marketing Officer, Communications team and program leadership and staff to advance outreach opportunities.
- Provides opportunities for national and international spokespersons for the program, reflecting the mission and values of American Humane.
- Identifies emerging gaps or opportunities in the marketplace in order to develop opportunities to expand the programs.
- Works to differentiate American Humane and our certification program from other third party certification programs.
- Works with certified institutions to coordinate with their outreach and communications efforts.
- Seeks and delivers public speaking engagements, radio and TV interviews and uses social networking, coordinating public appearances with AH’s communications strategy and Communications department.
- Provides stories, data and content for use by the Communications department on website, social media, appeals, funding proposals, projects and general public information.
- Ensures that all program and informational materials, trade show graphics and displays, and website are up to date and reflective of program standards.
- Develops and maintains Customer Relationship Management database in conjunction with Philanthropy and Farm team leveraging existing and new database(s).
- Fosters internal communication and collaboration to ensure successful partnerships.
Essential experience, knowledge, skills and abilities
- Diversity of marketing and sales experience
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree preferred
- Fluency with Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and CRM systems
- Minimum 8 years of experience in sales, marketing, business development or related field
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; active listening
- Adept at building collaborative relationships and demonstrating diplomacy with diverse constituencies; strong relationship management skills
- Growth oriented and dynamic
- Demonstrated ability to provide effective and timely solutions
- Ability to work with team members to implement annual program goals
Physical demands and work environment
- Position is based at American Humane’s national headquarters in Washington, DC
- Extensive travel, potentially to remote locations and international
- Exposure to barns with intensive animal production
- Exposure to bio secure environments, requiring donning of protective gear
Employees are expected to adhere to all organizational policies and to act as role models, demonstrating American Humane’s core values:
Respect for all
Loyalty to mission
Honesty, integrity, trust
American Humane is an Equal Opportunity Employer