American Humane seeks an Administrative Assistant to support the Development team’s ability to achieve desired outcomes in donor stewardship and cultivation activities as well as outreach to donors, partners and centers of influence in support of American Humane’s mission to ensure the welfare, wellness and well-being of animals. Additionally, the Administrative Assistant will ensure the smooth functioning of the national headquarters office in Washington, DC, where this position is based and will report directly to Chief Marketing Officer.
Founded in 1877, American Humane is committed to ensuring the safety, welfare and well-being of animals. Our leadership programs are first to serve in promoting and nurturing the bonds between animals and humans. We are first to serve, wherever animals are in need of rescue, shelter, protection or security. Through our innovative leadership initiatives – from our “No Animals Were Harmed®” program in Hollywood to broad-based farm and conservation animal welfare certifications, to rapid response rescue and care across the country – American Humane sets the gold standard as the most visionary and effective animal welfare organization in the nation.
The Administrative Assistant role will perform a variety of administrative functions with two primary focus areas: 1) provide administrative support to the Development Department, and 2) provide general office administrative support for the national headquarters in Washington, DC. The person in this position will need to exercise considerable initiative, discretion and judgment in making decisions in a variety of areas and convey a high level of customer service.
Responsibilities and Duties
Development Department (approx. 75%):
- Handle administrative functions for department including:
- Maintaining calendars,
- Scheduling and coordinating meetings and appointments,
- Making travel arrangements,
- Creating correspondence and proofreading documents,
- Preparing donor gift acknowledgement letters for signature and mailing,
- Coordinating internal and outgoing mail,
- Creating and maintaining files, copying and faxing, and
- Processing expense reimbursements.
- Maintain a comprehensive understanding of the workflow of American Humane.
- Provide general back-up to the administrative functions of the development team, including:
- Developing an understanding of the Raiser’s Edge donor database, ensuring accuracy with all related work,
- Assisting with data entry and running queries and reports as needed,
- Helping with gift processing and the reconciliation process with the accounting team,
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
Office Support (approx. 25%):
- Maintain and manage office supply inventory and ordering for the DC Headquarters office.
- Assist with requests for vendor services and invoicing. Process expense reimbursements.
- Screen phone calls thoroughly and with diplomacy for the main line. Provide preliminary information to internal and external callers as appropriate and direct inquiries and requests to appropriate area/person as needed.
- Greet visitors to the office and help them feel welcomed.
- Serve as a point of contact between American Humane and office building management for maintenance requests or other related matters.
- In coordination with the Director of IT, ensure office equipment, including: mail and copy machines remain functional and are being well maintained.
- Collect and distribute mail on a daily basis.
- Participate in American Humane-related activities, events and meetings.
- Assume responsibility for other areas of general office support as needed.
Essential experience, knowledge, skills and abilities
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Experience working in a nonprofit or similar environment preferred.
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to set priorities, juggle multiple tasks, organize time effectively, conduct research and identify resources for projects. Skilled at coordinating complex meetings and travel arrangements.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, including the ability to work both in groups and individually to meet goals and to develop strong working relationships with internal staff and external constituents.
- High degree of motivation and self-discipline with a strong work ethic. Maintains a conscientious approach to work with the ability to meet tight deadlines, anticipate needs and be proactive in order to resolve issues.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including proof reading and editing and strong phone etiquette.
- Demonstrates sound judgment and discretion in handling confidential information.
- Ability to focus on detail without losing sight of the bigger picture, including monitoring and double-checking work and information for accuracy and quality.
- Commitment to providing high quality service through responsiveness to all requests and maintaining a professional demeanor at all times.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated proficiency in the use of software (Windows, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) while also quickly learning systems and processes specific to the department. Raiser’s Edge experience preferred.
- Capability to type 50 words per minute preferred.
Physical demands and work environment:
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee will be regularly required to:
- Sit for extended periods, though will also be required to stand, walk and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl at times;
- Occasionally lift and/or move 20 pound or more;
- Look at and work off of a computer screen for extended periods;
- Talk, hear and exchange information over the telephone and in person.
Employees are expected to adhere to all organizational policies and to act as role models, demonstrating American Humane's core values:
Respect for all
Loyalty to mission
Honesty, integrity, trust
American Humane is an Equal Opportunity Employer