American Humane seeks a creative, detail-oriented, and highly-motivated Public Relations Associate to be part of the Communications & Development Team. The Associate will produce copy that is clear, well-researched, thorough, and timely to be used publicly by an organization with a nearly 150-year old legacy. This position is based at American Humane’s headquarters in Washington, DC and reports directly to the SVP & Chief Marketing Officer.
Founded in 1877, American Humane is committed to ensuring the safety, welfare and well-being of animals. Our leadership programs are first to serve in promoting and nurturing the bonds between animals and humans. We are first to serve, wherever animals are in need of rescue, shelter, protection or security. Through our innovative leadership initiatives – from our “No Animals Were Harmed®” program in Hollywood to broad-based farm and conservation animal welfare certifications, to rapid response rescue and care across the country – American Humane sets the gold standard as the most visionary and effective animal welfare organization in the nation.
The Public Relations Associate is responsible for performing as a writer for the communications and development teams, producing and overseeing written materials for both departments to ensure quality and consistency in messaging. The Associate will communicate with other AH departments, outside parties, sponsors, donors and more as needed for an assignment and will build and maintain productive working relationships with members of the press to maximize opportunities for earned media coverage and pitch members of the press on a regular basis.
- Drafting and distributing press releases – Produce in a timely manner to accompany announcements of new initiatives, programs, partnerships, senior staff hires, and more and distribute through wire services and directly to journalists.
- Developing messaging for American Humane programs – Create key messaging points to be used by staff and journalists about American Humane’s programming. Includes crisis communications as needed.
- Drafting marketing materials for the organization – Produce clear, concise copy for fact sheets, brochures, event programs (including American Humane Hero Dog Awards), and other materials as needed. Work with graphic design team to provide a fully designed product to be disseminated to public.
- Producing copy to support fundraising efforts – Produce copy for grant proposals, e-solicitation campaigns and other strategic memos for donors and board members.
- Pitching media and acting as spokesperson – Generate pitches to send to members of national and local media; serve as on- or off-the-record spokesperson for organization as needed; and serve as lead on-site media liaison for in-person press events as needed. Coordinate details for stories with media outlets, including providing photographs, quotes, videos, etc. Build, maintain and update media contact lists.
- Speech and script writing – Draft speeches to be used by members of American Humane staff (including the CEO), members of Congress, and other key influentials at American Humane events and outside events. Script writing as needed for American Humane Hero Dog Awards, PSAs, and other videos.
- Drafting public facing copy via the web – Write engaging text for certain mass emails, including monthly newsletter to 400,000+ subscribers. Work with graphic design team to develop design for email that will engage readers.
- Developing and drafting copy for website – Brainstorm, conceptualize, develop and rewrite public-facing messaging for the new AH website.
- Maintaining and updating institutional Editorial Calendar – Collaborate to update yearly calendar that gives schedule of every event, press release, email, social media post, and more. Present at weekly meeting between Communications and Development teams.
- Other miscellaneous writing and editing assignments – Blog posts, book editing and writing, CEO correspondence, scripts and booking guests for radio show, op-eds, copy for advertisements, and other assignments as needed.
Essential experience, knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- At least two years of professional writing experience in business or technical writing, communications, media relations, or related field preferred.
- Self-disciplined, entrepreneurial, action-oriented style that thrives in a start-up environment. Prioritizes tasks to meet deadlines. Strong work ethic.
- Excellent organizational skills, with the ability to establish and implement systems and identify resources to ensure the successful completion of projects. Ability to create and maintain files, recording systems and communication protocols.
- Strong written communication skills with proven ability to present, write, edit and organize thoughts in a clear, concise, and well-organized and well-articulated manner.
- Ability to change voice and writing style to fit a particular audience and purpose.
- Ability to produce high-quality work on deadline. Comfortable managing multiple projects, priorities and deadlines.
- Ability to think proactively, take initiative and see tasks through to completion with appropriate follow-up.
- Sound judgment and discretion in handling and securing confidential information, as well as the ability to conduct oneself in a highly professional manner.
- Flexibility to work as part of a team or independently and across departments to meet goals in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer and office technology including applications for project and data management and electronic calendars (Windows, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook preferred). Ability to quickly learn software specific to the department or institution.
Physical demands and work environment:
- Position is based in Washington, DC
- Standard working office environment
- Willingness to travel periodically for assignments
Employees are expected to adhere to all organizational policies and to act as role models, demonstrating American Humane’s core values:
Respect for all
Loyalty to mission
Honesty, integrity, trust
To apply, please include cover letter and 1-2 page writing sample.
American Humane is an Equal Opportunity Employer